We have secured a beautiful new space for our classes down the street from our store: 4148 MacArthur Blvd Oakland, CA 94619 (Conscious Health/Laurel Jujitsu).
Special rates! Sign up and pay for the series of classes and only $12/class ($15 for drop in, but need to let us know in advance).
April 3rd-May 29 (8 week session), but you can join at any point along the way:
2.5-6 year olds
18 months-5 years. ON HOLD UNTIL WE HAVE 6 CONFIRMED.
2.5-6 year olds
Contact annette500watts at yahoo.com for more info or to register.
Music Movers! uses a multi-sensory approach to help students acquire basic proficiency in and understanding of popular World and Latin music disciplines as we "move" around the globe.
Children sing, dance, play instruments and learn basic words, numbers and directions in English and Spanish. We blend music and choreography while nurturing and developing each child's individual talents and creativity.
The class we are offering is filled with music and movement. The primary goal is to make the classes fun and to encourage a lifelong love of music. While they are having fun, students are learning fundamental music skills such as how to keep a beat (with a wide range of patterns and rhythms), how to listen and focus, how to play in an ensemble, attending to "timbre" (unique sound something makes), recognizing and developing pitch, vocal development and development of an intrinsic understand of music, all of which sets a foundation (in a developmentally appropriate way) for more formal music education.
They are also learning about different cultures through different types of music, as well as language development in both English and Spanish through directions and labeling and song.
Students are on the floor sitting in a circle, but mostly, up and moving.
Each class is led by a trained instructor who follows an established curriculum, guiding children through a series of super exciting rhythms and and grooves.
Preregistration required. If you miss a class, you can do a make up at one of our other classes within the same time session.
Teacher Kirah J. Caminos, MNA. has served as Director of her own bilingual (Spanish) family daycare in Oakland, acted as Director of a First Five Center in Contra Costa and served as program director for multiple youth and family service agencies throughout the Bay Area and New York. As a former Peace Corps volunteer overseas, she has also enjoyed engaging in community service projects and activities abroad. Growing up in the lower east side of Manhattan, raised by a musical family and being surrounded by some of the salsa greats encouraged a lifelong love and passion for Salsa. She has studied under some of the best instructors in salsa in the Bay Area for over 12 years. Kirah plays piano, guitar and has 3 sons!
For more info call or email annette500watts at yahoo.com
- We can also come to your school or organization.
- We can always add more classes at alternate dates or times so let me know what works for you.
- We also have private lessons in all instruments for all ages, all skills levels. Our teachers are professional educators as well as performing musicians.
NEW 8 WEEK SESSION STARTS Friday MAY 13
Cost is $140 for 8 weeks (includes $20 materials-cd, booklet, extras)
Saturday at 10:15-11am
(starting May 14)
(starting May 13)
This month we’ll think and talk in patterns of 3s. In class we’ll sing songs that help your child seek and find that pattern, such as singing Row, Row, Row Your Boat. Even the things in your Home Kit this month comes in 3s—when you listen to the music, share the activities, and splash around with this blow-up beach ball.
Home Kit: Beach ball, Home CD, and magazine-style Family Guide (includes the class story Bath Time)
What a Child Will Experience in Class
- Songs and rhymes to develop phonetic awareness and early reading skills
- Tapping, clacking, and ringing rhythm instruments in time with music to improve hand-eye coordination
- Focused listening with music to improve skills in following directions
- Instrument play to strengthen fine motor skills
- Developmentally-appropriate songs to develop vocal chords and expressive speech
- Learning that emphasizes storytelling, imaginative play, taking turns
- Beginning theory and musicianship
- Ensemble playing
- Exposure to wide range of instruments
- Exposure to wide range of musical styles and genres.
- Developmentally appropriate curriculum for children ages 2.5 to 5 years old
- 6-week semester with 12 different monthly themes
- Weekly 45-minute class with parent or caregiver
- Home Kit that includes a magazine-style Family Guide, CD with the music from class, and an instrument every other month
About Teacher Annette
Annette has worked with young children for more than 20 years. She has a B.S. in Developmental Psychology and has developed curriculum and managed programs for infants through 12 years of age.
She is also a part-time actor, musician and performance artist. As a performance artist and MC, she does original pieces combining music, dance, comedy and narrative story telling.
Other stage credits include Nora in Ibsen's "A Doll House", Yente in "Fiddler on the Roof" and more.
In addition to being passionate about the care and education of young children, she is an active environmentalist. Her family's organic farm on the east coast is now a nature preserve.
Her energy, warmth and patience make her a natural for working with young children--and their parents!